Friday, June 27, 2008

::Birthday's Bring Families Together::

My family is a little non-traditional. I have a dad, who lives in Virginia (whom I dearly miss). I have a beautiful sister who is just a tad younger than me. I also have a mom who is remarried to a man named Luther and he has two daughters. Holidays are very different as we often do not celebrate them on the designated days with the traditional food and fixings. But what we do well is Birthdays with extravagant and eclectic (as we often choose different ethnic cuisine) dining.

So, my mom, stepdad, sister and I went out recently to celebrate Fathers day and my stepdad's birthday. Usually I love and hate celebrating birthdays because the food is usually so good but the conversations can make a turn for the worse. But this time we went to Picassos formally known as Nino's (although we didn't know of the name change which made finding the restaurant a bit of a problem). Lets just say the food was not up to par. But I did get to try escargot for the first time. I was so excited, as I love trying new things.

The thing that really surprised me though was the conversation. It seems that as my sister and I get older, we are able to hold great conversations with our parents. Perhaps I am speaking for myself only when I say this but I truly enjoy talking with my parents (as long as they avoid the topic of money of course :-) )

All in all the evening ended wonderfully with a kid scoop of Ben and Jerry's!

No comments: